The organ was originally built in 1883 by Franklin Lloyd (now deceased) and was “tracker action” hand blown.
It was entirely overhauled, pneumatic tubular action installed and an electric blower added, replacing the “tracker action” in 1931 by Messrs. Rushworth and Dreaper Ltd. at a cost of £1,000. It is a two manual instrument with 28 speaking stops, radiating concave pedal board and a balanced swell.
The re-opening recital was given by Harry Goss-Custard Esq., Mus. Bac., F.R.C.O. (Organist then of Liverpool Cathedral)
In 1955 the organ was totally cleaned and modified by Henry Willis & Sons (London and Liverpool) Ltd., at a cost of £331.00. The re-dedicating recital was given by the Organist of Liverpool Cathedral, Noel Rawsthorne, F.R.C.S.
In February 2009, the first stage of replacing the old dried out leatherwork was completed by Brian Jones, of Merseyside Pipe Organ Workshop, at a cost of £7,350. It is now being tuned and maintained by the same firm.